Middle East
Renewed pressure on Mubarak to quit as talks fail
Egyptian President Mubarak came under fresh pressure on Monday to step down as opponents said concessions made in landmark talks were not enough to halt a revolt against his 30-year rule.
Thousands of demonstrators spent Sunday night under blankets and tarpaulins in central Cairo’s Tahrir Square, or Liberation Square, which over two weeks has begun to resemble a tented camp.
Regarding the events in Egypt
Here we publish complete the Press Release text that the international organization “World Without Wars and Without Violence” communicated today, in reference with the recent facts developed in Egypt.
Such organism, forms part of the Humanism Movement and was the one coordinating the “World March for Peace and Non Violence” that finished on 2010.
Egypt opposition rejects government reform offer
Opponents of Egyptian President Mubarak’s embattled regime dismissed as insufficient an offer to include them in political reform plans and renewed their demand that he step down.
In a concession, Vice President Omar Suleiman sat down with the groups, which included the banned Muslim Brotherhood, but the talks produced no immediate breakthrough in the two-week-old standoff.
Egypt military urged to respect rights of protesters
Amnesty International is urging the Egyptian military to respect the rights of protesters as demonstrators held their biggest protest.
Media reports said hundreds of thousands of people had gathered for what organisers dubbed a ‘Million Man’ protest calling for President Hosni Mubarak to step down and corruption, poverty and police abuses to end.
Mubarak should act fast, world says
European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton on Wednesday urged Egypt’s embattled President Hosni Mubarak to do things “as quickly as possible” to smooth the transition to elections.
* Europe wants Mubarak to move forward
* Muslim Brotherhood see no alternative to Mubarak departure
* World leaders say Mubarak transition must start now
Jordan king names new prime minister
King Abdullah II of Jordan named Maruf Bakhit as prime minister on Tuesday with orders to carry out “true political reforms,” the palace said, after weeks of opposition protests demanding change.
“King Abdullah II designated Maruf Bakhit to form a new government to replace the government of Samir Rifai,” a palace statement said.
Hundreds of thousands amass for Egypt day of anger
Several hundred thousand Egyptians amassed on Tuesday for the biggest outpouring of anger yet in their drive to oust President Hosni Mubarak, on day eight of a revolt in which an estimated 300 have died.
Demonstrators flooded Cairo’s Tahrir Square protest epicenter from early morning for a “march of a million” planned for the capital and second city Alexandria.
Egypt is offline – is Google just cashing in?
Twitter and Google recently joined forces to help Egypt talk to the world. The Egyptian authorities last week decided to block most internet and SMS traffic, but the two companies combined efforts and came up with a way around the blockade.
Their system is called ‘Speak2tweet’ (link http://twitter.com/speak2tweet#) and is quite simple.
Defiant but joyous protests up pressure on Mubarak
Massive tides of peaceful protesters flooded Cairo and Egypt’s second city Alexandria on Tuesday in the biggest outpouring yet of defiance in a relentless drive to oust President Hosni Mubarak.
Several hundred thousand demonstrators massed in Cairo’s Tahrir Square, the epicenter for a “march of a million” in the capital, and similar numbers turned out in Alexandria.
Massive Protests in Egypt Enter Seventh Day; General Strike Called
Protesters in Egypt have called for a general strike today and a “million man march” on Tuesday in an attempt to force Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak from power. Over the past seven days, hundreds of thousands of Egyptians have protested in the streets of Cairo, Alexandria, Suez and other cities in the largest protests Egypt has seen in decades.